South Charlotte Church Plant


Join us as we launch a new church in South Charlotte. Sign up for the prayer newsletter;
consider financially supporting through giving; or become a TRAILBLAZER.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pro 27:5

I stumbled across this passage the other day...by that I mean I read it, said, hmmm that's interesting. Then "wow, that is really interesting." I kept trying to read past it, but I kept being drawn back to it.

"Better is open rebuke, th[a]n hidden love."


I don't know about you, but on the surface I wouldn't think that is true. I hate being rebuked. I hate being corrected and will immediately get defensive if someone tries to redirect me.

So, how can that really be better than "hidden love?"

Deep down, I know that is true. Open rebuke--someone who comes forward to challenge my perspective is actually showing an interest in a restored relationship with me. On the flip side, "hidden love" just gnaws away at us. It destroys relationship because we fear having our feelings exposed.

I figured could tack on an extra clause and add it to my dry erase board in my office for when people come in with suggestions: "Better is open rebuke, th[a]n hidden praise; but best of all is open praise."

[edited by the grammar police of Don and my wife!]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wesley, Wesley, Wesley - again with the grammar lesson:

"Then" = refers to time

"Than" = comparison

This would be an example of open rebuke!

ShareThis