South Charlotte Church Plant


Join us as we launch a new church in South Charlotte. Sign up for the prayer newsletter;
consider financially supporting through giving; or become a TRAILBLAZER.

Thursday, January 15, 2004

patience

The virtue of patience....

For the past few weeks I have been waiting, sometimes patiently, often times not for three things.
1) a video game, 2) a panthers jersey and 3) my acceptance (or rejection) letter to Princeton.

I realized how impatient I am. I can preach about waiting on God's timing. I can pray, God I trust your will--but I rarely practice such actions. I honestly know that ultimately it is God's decision whether I get into seminary or not, but I just want to know....So I can begin working on the little details.

That is still my battling for control. How do I rid myself of this incessant need to be in control?

What is the Christian response to piss poor planning proves problematic, or prepare for the worst-hope for the best?

Perhaps it is because deep down I know the letter will transform everything--my job, my career, my life, my family structure, my income, my location, my whatever. But also deep down I know that I have security in God.

So what's the balance? Is impatience always negative and a lack of trust in God?
Do you think Mary was impatient to get this baby out of her? Do you think Jesus was impatient--why did he kill the fig tree?

Perhaps impatience-when knowing whichever outcome is God's-is not necessarily as negative as the church, and preachers, and me would want you to believe.

ShareThis